we can do it

Thursday, August 18, 2011

The importance of a concept.....

Sometimes as I start getting ready to work on my next show I think of all the past experiences I have had with directors and which shows I loved and which shows ended up being miserable for all parties. Then I remember that a lot of the harder shows have had one common thread. Lack of concept. Don't get me wrong, it can be freeing as a designer to sit down and have the director say, I don't care what the show looks like, I know you can make it look amazing. BUT when you go into the next meeting with designs and swatches, they realize they do care and they hate what you've chosen. At that point you could probably still scrap it and be ok, but the next meeting is your last shot. If you try again and they like it, then you build and eventually the show gets on stage! If they like it in the meeting and then change their mind a week before the show starts, then you have a very serious problem. BECAUSE, it can't be changed!! At that point there is no time, probably no money and definitely no will power left.

Some of my most amazing experiences involve directors that know what they want and let you know character by character, scene by scene. It is so much easier to see that your director has a vision for the show and for you to be able to see what part you need to play in making that happen. So, thank you directors that have vision. I appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment